Last Updated on March 6, 2022 by Maidul
Do you burst into tears over cut onions?
Results from extensive research show that you can minimize this emotional phase of cooking just by opting for a sharp knife. Your blunt knife usually smashes or ruptures the onion cells instead of slicing through them, spreading oxalic acid all around. This can get embarrassing when you just want to display your knife skills.
What you need in life is honing steel. These badass rods make sure you can cut through fish and chicken flesh in a single sweep.
Pick up any of these best honing steel below, and you will be able to save up those tears for more useful occasions like watching Titanic with your wife. Let us not waste any more time and find out what each of them has to offer.
Quick Comparison: Best Honing Steel
Kota Japan 12-inch Knife Sharpener Rod
Victorinox Swiss Classic 10-Inch Honing Steel
Zwilling S Review Pro Sharpening Steel
Winware Sharpening Steel Stainless Steel
Utopia Kitchen 12 Inch Honing Steel
Professional Knife Steel Magnetized for Safety
Green Elephant Ceramic Sharpening Rod
DALSTRONG Honing Steel
DMT CS2 Ceramic Steel
Professional 10 Inch Knife Sharpener Honing Steel
Our Best Honing Steel Reviews and Buying Guide
With flashy inferior products everywhere, it has become difficult to find the diamond out of the dust. Below are the most sought-after and trusted honing rods that make no compromises in terms of build quality and efficiency.
1. Kota Japan 12-inch Knife Sharpener Rod
The first product on our honing steel reviews is from the legend itself. Kota Japan has been a pioneer of several innovations in the field of knife sharpening tools. This masterpiece is no exception.
The diamond electroplated knife sharpener is manufactured using a patented bonding process, giving you the hardest, long-lasting, and most durable surface to work with. All of that goodness comes at an affordable price.
Be it your handy kitchen knife or your heavy artillery used for hunting, this sharpener offers unmatched precision and efficient sharpening whenever and wherever needed.
The 12-inch rod comes in an oval shape that offers more surface contact – resulting in a smooth finish. Thus, you get maximum output for the effort you put. The ergonomic handle provides comfort at your hand along with ensuring elegance.
This beautiful piece looks good even when resting on your kitchen shelf, enhancing the overall look of your collection.
- Diamond electroplating offers a hard, long-lasting, and durable surface
- Offers unmatched precision and efficient sharpening
- Oval shape that offers more contact surface maximizing output
- Ergonomic handle provides comfort and elegance at hand
- Long 12-inch rod is suitable for most multipurpose knives
- May wear out a little after extensive usage
- Available in a single color
2. Victorinox Swiss Classic 10-Inch Honing Steel
This gem from Victorinox has been a top choice for culinary professionals all around the globe since its production. If you are after the best honing steel for knives, we suggest you take a good look at it.
The 10-inch Swiss Classic is your ultimate cooking partner that will help you outshine the rest, even in the most competitive restaurant kitchens. Only a few minutes of action with this in hand makes your knife prepared for the next delicacy.
Based on stainless steel, this rod comes plated with industrial brush chrome – delivering you the ultimate strength and rust protection. With only a few moments of usage every day, this sharpener will keep your knife blade in good shape for years.
The textured Classic Swiss handle offers all the flexibility required to put on a show before your audience, displaying your crazy knife skills. Weighted honing steel at the back provides the perfect balance.
Also, the expertly crafted sharpener is an effective addition to your culinary career that will start producing the goods from day one.
- Comes plated with industrial brush chrome
- Textured Classic Swiss handle offers all the flexibly
- A weighted honing steel at the back provides the perfect balance
- Keeps the knife blade in good shape for years
- Length is not the greatest
- Might erode if used for harder knives
3. Zwilling S Review Professional Sharpening Steel
Our third pick is for the home cooks who make the family gel together. This sharpening rod is the ideal combination of effectiveness and flexibility.
Thanks to the hard steel-alloy, it makes the perfect base for long-lasting performance. With this in your stationery pack, your knives will retain their sharpness for a long period – making it easy to chop those tomatoes and lettuce for your favorite salad.
The tough synthetic handle brings comfort to the palm of your hands and ensures maximum handling. These are important features that let you finish up the daily routine kitchen works in a breeze.
This handy device doesn’t compromise in terms of protection. It’s equipped with a steel finger guard that will protect the delicate fingers of you and your beloved family members. The importance of safety in the case of knives is endless.
Besides, the sharpener comes in two variations of 10-inch and 12-inch. Thus, you get the flexibility to choose according to your requirement and budget. It’s recommended, though, to opt for the larger variant for increased usability. With this on your kitchen shelf, you won’t be changing your knife in years.
- Hard steel-alloy make the perfect base for long-lasting performance
- Tough synthetic handle brings comfort to the palm of your hands
- Steel finger guard will protect the delicate fingers
- Comes in two variations of 10-inch and 12-inch
- Offers elegant design and finish
- Not the strongest
4. Winware Sharpening Steel Stainless Steel
This has caught our attention due to its attention to details. Being simple yet effective, the Win ware Sharpening Steel will get the job done within your budget.
You may have probably guessed already that stainless steel is the way to go if you are looking for long-lasting sharpening at the most affordable price. This rod built from stainless steel will provide efficient and constant sharpening service in your house or restaurant kitchen.
It features a 12-inch sharpening blade that can be used with a wide variety of cutting tools. Use the rod after every two cutting sessions, and your knife will hold its sharpness for long periods.
The 5-inch handle offers a soft and comfortable grip that lets you maneuver the rod following various techniques for better accuracy and effectiveness. A better handle is half the requirement behind a good finish, and Win ware is well aware of it.
Plus, the hanging loop at the end handle is a bonus that increases its storage option. You can hang the rod nicely from your kitchen wall, giving an instant feel of professionalism to anyone who enters your kitchen.
- Stainless steel rod offers durability and efficiency
- 12-inch sharpening blade can be used with a wide variety of cutting tools
- 5-inch handle offers a soft and comfortable grip for various techniques
- Hanging loop at the end of the handle
- Simple design
5. Utopia Kitchen 12 Inch Honing Steel
Utopia Kitchen has been a household name offering products that are quick, easy to use, and safe. The 10-inch honing rod is another reflection of their quality and service.
Suitable for all types of knives, including kitchen, sporting, household, and pocket ones, the 10-inch rod offers max sharpening – realigning the blades back to their position. Thus, you get an instant sharp knife on the go.
Built on carbon steel, the stick comes with a nickel-chrome plating that offers top-notch durability and effectiveness. Then, its fine surface makes sure your precious tools suffer minimum damage during the sharpening process.
It comes with an ergonomic handle that will fit easily into your hand regardless of your hand orientation. The slip-resistant rubber at the bottom is comfortable to grip, letting you try any quick tricks without compromising safety.
For better performance, we recommend you use a non-woven cloth that has been soaked in cooking oil and wipe the handy tool after usage. Through proper care, you will be able to bring out the most from this gem and get unmatched quality in return.
- Suitable for kitchen, sporting, household, and pocket knives
- Ten-inch rod offers max sharpening
- Nickel-chrome plating boasts top-notch durability and effectiveness
- Fine surface ensures minimum damage during the sharpening process
- Ergonomic handle fits easily in hand regardless of orientation
- Slip-resistant rubber at the bottom is comfortable to grip
- Short compared to competitors
- Requires maintenance
6. Professional Knife Steel Magnetized for Safety
If you are looking for elegant looks and handy features, we suggest you have a good look at this one.
This 12-inch sharpening rod comes fully magnetized, ensuring safety for you and your surroundings. You won’t be having metal chips flying all around and drooping in your dishes which can be a serious health hazard.
The beast is made to last. It features a hardened carbon steel body that is of superior quality. The solid body, along with the premium handle, will immediately catch your attention, which this masterpiece has been receiving for years.
You don’t have to worry about rust or corrosion as the rod goes through a chromium plating process that ensures max protection and reliability. Your knife will retain its sharpness but won’t lose any metal in the process, as this honing rod is extremely efficient in preserving the tool’s life.
Unlike other rods that require complex cleaning, this easy-to-clean sharpener can be washed along with your dishes – saving up your valuable time and effort.
Overall, this banger from Noble Home & Chef is a well-built product that ensures safety along with service.
- Comes fully magnetized, ensuring safety for users and their surroundings
- Resist metal chips flying all around and drooping in dishes
- Features a hardened carbon steel body that is of the superior quality
- Premium handle that catches attention immediately
- Chromium plating ensures protection against rust or corrosion
- Can be washed along with dishes, saving up valuable time and effort
- Doesn’t have a hanger
7. Green Elephant Ceramic Sharpening Rod
Can a honing rod match the strength of an elephant? Our seventh pick will raise a similar thought in your mind.
This mighty beast boasts a hardness of 9 Mohs and a Rockwell hardness score of over 100, thanks to the highest quality ceramic from which the rod is manufactured.
You won’t be worrying about accidental drops while showcasing your honing skills as this rod comes all prepared for those incidents. The silicone seal between the handle joint and the plastic end cap does an impressive work of tackling those drops by absorbing vibrational waves and thus protecting itself.
The handle is lightweight and comfortable and makes sharpening a quick and enjoyable experience. Plus, this extremely effective sharpener will realign the blades of your culinary tools in a blaze – keeping you ready for action.
You don’t have to go through a complicated washing procedure as the rod can be washed using any detergents and air-dried, making it clean and hygienic.
- Boasts a hardness of 9 Mohs and a Rockwell hardness score of over 100
- Offers unmatched strength
- Silicone seal between handle joint and plastic end cap
- Lightweight and comfortable handle
- Can be washed using any detergents and air-dried
- Can break upon strong blows
8. DALSTRONG Honing Steel
This honing steel form DALSTRONG is in a league of its own that brings elegance to your cooking table along with efficient sharpening.
Now, this Gladiator Series honing steel comes in a size of 10-inch and fights against the derailed edges of your knife, keeping them in an orderly manner. It’s a product manufactured for professionals who make no compromises with speed and accuracy.
The carefully hand-crafted tools look like weaponry that has been brought from the museum. It’s no less than a lethal weapon in strength, thanks to the resistant carbon steel that has been triple riveted to ensure superior strength.
This sharpener comes fitted with an ergonomic handle that has been brought to life using contoured Pakkawood, having origin in Spain. Thus, the finished product is a classy and elegant piece of art that will leave you amazed.
The tiny grooves along the steel surface make sure that you get the most results out of each stroke, saving up energy for the busy cooking schedule. It has an attractive bolster that allows you to make full use of the device without risking injury.
- Makes no compromises with speed and accuracy
- Feature carbon steel triple-riveted body that ensures superior strength
- Comes fitted with an ergonomic handle
- Tiny grooves along the steel surface produce most results out of each stroke
- Packs an attractive bolster that minimizes injury risk
- A bit short
- Doesn’t have a magnetic property
9. DMT CS2 Ceramic Steel
This one has its origin in the United States and boasts an incredible price to performance ratio along with an impressive design.
It features top-end materials throughout the build, ensuring high efficiency and durability, making it the perfect sharpening choice for your household, outdoor, garden, and woodworking tools.
The 12-inch rod features an exotic sanitary plastic handle that makes no compromise in terms of handling and comfort. Also, the easy to grip handle lets you pull out all your knife honing skills in front of gatherings without hiccups showcasing your expertise.
You won’t be hurting your muscles stroking the knife as the rod is extremely lightweight, reserving your energy for long intensive work hours. The smooth surface offers a seamless finish restoring the factory condition of your handy cutting tools.
Unlike other ceramic rods, this doesn’t require the application of oils for cleaning and drying purpose. With years of consistent and durable performance, this stick will eventually become your trusted kitchen helping hand.
- Features top-end materials throughout the build
- Perfect choice for your household, outdoor, garden, and woodworking tools
- Exotic sanitary plastic handle
- Extremely lightweight, thus reserves energy for long intensive work hours
- Smooth surface offers a seamless finish restoring the factory condition
- Doesn’t require the application of oils for cleaning and drying purpose
- Coating could be more durable
10. Professional 10 Inch Knife Sharpener Honing Steel
It’s better to save up the good for the last, and we have done the same. This marvel from Amesser packs all the luxury features and delivers a premium sharpening experience.
First and foremost, this rod comes out with all guns blazing, featuring a carbon steel base topped with nickel-chrome plating, thus ensuring the top of line strength and durability. The 15.3-inch behemoth is capable of taking down even the toughest bent in your knife.
Its ergonomically designed handle makes sure the rod never slips out even during rush hours, maintaining the safety of your workplace. Besides, you get the added protection, thanks to the finger guard feature.
It offers fast maneuverability regardless of your hand orientation, getting your job done in the least of strokes. Having this handy device by your side, all the dull edges of your knife will remain at bay.
The rod has a hanging loop installed and comes packed with an adhesive hook to hang it at your desired spot. You also get a cleaning cloth and a detailed instruction manual as an added gift enhancing your purchasing experience.
- Features a carbon steel base topped with nickel-chrome plating
- The ergonomically designed handle provides excellent grip
- Offers fast maneuverability regardless of your hand orientation
- Comes with a hanging loop and an adhesive hook
- Cleaning cloth and a detailed instructions manual complete the package
- Should be more durable
What to Look for Before Buying?
There are certain things you need to look for while opting for honing steel. But to get a better understanding of that, it’s important to know its function and working principle. So, let us make things simple for you step by step.
The most important decision to make here is to select the material of your Honing Steel. Every material has specific advantages that set them apart from the others. Below are their short descriptions that will help you make your pick.
- Stainless Steel
These rods can be braided or unbraided. Steel is the most common material used in honing rods. They are affordable and durable. Unless you are dealing with strong high-end knives, stainless steel is a good pick for regular usage.
Ceramic rods offer smoothness and durability. It’s the middle spot in affordability and is suitable for almost any sharpening. Extra care has to be taken as these can break up on heavy blows. But you won’t be purchasing them to face a war, so it’s not a major issue.
It’s the toughest but also the most expensive. Rods embedded with diamond chips will offer you the ultimate strength capable of sharpening industrial knives of any caliber.
It’s an important factor that will influence your honing experience and efficiency. A shorter rod will result in uneven sharpening, decreasing its efficiency. Besides, this also increases the risk of getting injured. So, to be on the safe side, you can opt for rods at least 10 to 20 inches in length.
Honing rods come in various shapes. Of them, oval and circular are the more preferred options. More contact surfaces will offer you more friction to work with and make up for any imperfections made by you in the sharpening process.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How often should you use honing steel?
It depends on the material of the knife. If you are using a regular stainless steel knife, it’s better to hone it after every 3 to 4 uses. It’s more frequent in the case of carbon knives, where you have to follow the procedure after every use for long-lasting sharpness.
- Do knife sharpening rods wear out?
Well, the answer is both yes and no. It depends on the material of your honing rod. Usual grooved steel ones will lose their grooving but can still be used. The smooth surface will still be able to realign your knife blade.
The diamond ones are covered in diamond chips that wear out after extensive use. But they are extremely hard and can be used to hone even the strongest knives. You probably know that diamonds are used in industrial works.
If you are looking for a sharpening rod that never wears out, our suggestion will be the ceramic ones. They would last for a long time unless you struck them into a wall or something of a similar kind.
- How do I know if my knife is sharp?
It’s a tricky question. You don’t want to end up harming yourself in the process. But the fingernail test is popularly carried out by chefs and house cooks. Press your fingernail against the blade. If the blade makes a smooth perpendicular cut without deviation, you can say it’s sharp.
- What to use to keep a knife from becoming dull?
It’s sad to see your favorite knife not performing like before. Here are a few tips that will help you regain and retain its sharpness.
- Use honing rod to realign the edges
- Make use of the whetstone when required
- Follow the proper sharpening technique
- Always use a cutting board and avoid hard surfaces
- Wash your knives by hand to avoid damages
- Store in a safe place
This wraps up our discussion for the best honing steel that is currently in the market right now. These will keep your knife blade as sharp as the tip of John Wick’s pencil, which we all know what he used for.